Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Compromised Credit Cards

"Your card has been compromised" is a very scary line to hear from your bank. I was recently called by my bank to notify me that my credit card account had been compromised along with several others that had used their card recently with an online merchant. I always take all the necessary precautions when shopping online at any website. However, you can never really know how secure the particular site is at any given moment, hence, I was "chosen" by the credit card hackers as a fraud victim.

On the more positive note, there are safer measures we can take in reducing the risk of our accounts being compromised. If your card has ever been compromised, you can probably imagine the frustration and hassle it causes, right?

1 comment:

  1. Frances...I know the feeling! This happened to me several times. Thankfully the credit card companies called me to verify the transactions due to the unusual spending pattern. Taking care of the problem and clearing up my credit was definitely a hassle.
    Even shopping online with big department stores is risky, because you do not know who on the end might be mismanaging your information. I agree with you we never really know. As a result I very rarely shop online. Shopping online is convenient, but risky! We are not alone...75% of internet users either agree (39%) or strongly agree (36%) with the proposition that they do not like giving out their credit card number or personal information online.

    ReplyDelete